100.1 FM ~ 1450 AM ~ WIZS, Your Community Voice ~ Click to LISTEN LOCAL
— CLICK HERE TO PUT YOUR INFO INTO AN ELECTRONIC FORM or email announcements to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 492-3001
- The Veterans Dog Walk will be held on September 26, 2020 from 9:00 AM to 11:00 AM at 1243 Brodie Road in Henderson. Come out for a great time as Veterans, First Responders, Families and dogs come together to help each other! The Veterans Dog Walk is sponsored by the Vance County NC Animal Services. Service animal friendly but please leave your other Fido at home. For more information call 252-492-3136.
- Voter’s Registration Drive will be held at the St. Paul United Church of Christ, 292 N. Lee Ave in Middleburg, NC located off the Jacksontown Rd. in the Church Fellowship Hall on September 30, 2020 from 4:00-7:00 PM. If you have not registered to VOTE, this will be a good time to come by to get registered in order to VOTE in this Election for 2020.
- Franklin and Warren County Cooperative Extension will host a four-part Farm Business Webinar Series for interested participants. Sessions Include: September 24, 2020 – Farm Estates with Andrew Branan; October 1, 2020 – Present Use Values with Mark Megalos; October 8, 2020 – Record-Keeping/Quickbooks with Nate Converse; October 15, 2020 – Risk Management with Rodrick Rejesus. All meetings begin at 10 AM. To register, go to www.nccefarmbusiness.eventbrite.com. Once registered, the link to the Zoom meeting will be emailed to you.
- Virtual Job Readiness Training Program – this program prepares participants to obtain and excel at a new job. Basic employ-ability skills include effective communication, problem-solving, resume building and interviewing. The Job Readiness Training Program also helps participants develop good work habits that facilitate ongoing success. Join the program by logging in Facebook Live on the Henderson Vance Outreach page. Classes will be held on Wednesdays at 10 AM through Wednesday, November 4, 2020. For more information, please contact Shantel Hargrove at (252) 430-0382 (email@example.com) or Jaleel Johnson at (252) 431-6099 (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Arthritis Exercise Class – classes will meet on Wednesdays and Fridays from September 23 – November 4, 2020, from 2:30 – 3:30 PM. This is a FREE low-impact, joint safe program developed for individuals with arthritis. This class has been proven to decrease pain and stiffness while increasing flexibility and range of motion. This class is also suitable for every fitness level. Join the class by logging on to Facebook Live on the Henderson Vance Special Programs page or at Aycock Recreation Center. Participants must preregister to participate at Aycock Recreation Center. There are only 10 slots available. For more information or to register, please contact Crystal Allen at (252) 431-6091 (email@example.com ) or Tara Goolsby at (252) 438-3948 (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Fit and Feisty – this eight-week program provides information to participants ages 55 and better on topics related to health, wellness, safety tips and exercises to stay fit. Join the program by logging on to Facebook Live on the Henderson Vance Special Programs page. Participants must preregister to participate at Aycock Recreation Center. There are only 10 slots available. For more information, please contact Crystal Allen at (252) 431-6091 or (email@example.com).
- The Shop with a Cop Raffle is now underway! This fundraiser is brought to to you by the Henderson-Vance Chamber of Commerce, The Henderson Police Department and the Vance County Sheriff’s Office. The raffle benefits disadvantaged you in the community by helping them with Christmas shopping and the Chamber’s efforts to help local businesses. 180 tickets will be sold. The number on your ticket (ranging from 1-180) is the amount you pay for the ticket. There will be 4 cash drawings: $200, $500, $1000 and $2000 on November 6th. Thanks to presenting sponsor Maria Parham Health, Gold Sponsor Henderson Toyota and Silver Sponsor Union Bank for their support of this community program. For tickets call the Chamber office at 252-432-8414.
- ACTS of Henderson is currently in need of the following items for its food pantry: Boxed macaroni and cheese; Brown sugar; Ketchup; Boxes of pasta; Canned fruit (any kind); Cream of mushroom soup; Cream of chicken soup; Cans/cartons of beef/chicken broth; Beef/chicken bouillon cubes; White sugar; Canned baked beans; Paper towels; Toilet paper; Prepared salad dressing; Awesome’ brand cleaner (from Dollar Tree or Roses); Standard size clean, dry grocery bags; Wrapped, unused silverware packages. Items may be dropped off at the ACTS location at 201 South Williams Street in Henderson any weekday between 8:30 AM and 3 PM. If you need to drop off at a time other than this, please call ACTS at (252) 492–8231 to make arrangements.
- Vance County Schools will offer free meal boxes for drive-thru style pick-up every Monday in September and October from 10 AM – 3 PM. Boxes will be distributed at Vance County Middle School located at 293 Warrenton Road in Henderson. The weekly meal boxes will contain five breakfasts, five lunches and milk containers.
- The American Legion Riders Legacy Scholarship Run will be held on Friday October 2, 2020 at the Henderson American legion Post 60 at 12:00 PM. This run is to raise money for the American Legion Legacy Scholarship fund. The scholarship is for children of U.S. Military members who died while on active duty on or after September 11, 2001 and children of post 9/11 veterans having been assigned a combined disability rating of 50% or greater by the Department of Veterans Affairs. Riders will come into Henderson via Andrews Avenue and will arrive at Post 60 on South Garnett St. at 12 noon. Individuals may stop by the post to donate money and visit with the riders, however, please maintain social distancing and wear a mask.
- Paint at the Dog Park– the community is invited to paint stencils on the concrete walkways at the new dog park, Scentral Bark, on Saturday, October 3, 2020, from 9 – 11 AM. To allow for social distancing, only 12 slots will be available. The dog park is part of Rollins Park, located at 1600 S. Garnett St. Ext. in Henderson. Please contact Tyler Terry at (252) 438-2671 or (firstname.lastname@example.org) to sign up.
- Baptist Men of West End Baptist Church in Henderson will be holding a Fish Fry Fundraiser to support Local Ministries at the 220 Seafood Restaurant, 1812 N. Garnett Street, Henderson, N.C. on Monday, October 5, 2020 from 4:00 PM til 7:00 PM. Cost is $8.00 per plate. Dinner will include Trout, Slaw, French Fries and Hushpuppies. Due to the current situation with Covid 19, we will not be able to dine in, it will be take out only. All proceeds will be used to support our Local Ministries which include ACTS, Lifeline Ministries, Rebuilding Hope, GRACE Ministries and many others.
- Perry Memorial Library in Henderson announces a new curbside service available from 10 AM – 4 PM Monday through Friday. Start by placing holds on materials through your library account or by calling the library at (252) 438-3316. If calling, have your library card number handy. Please make sure the library has the correct information to contact you when your holds arrive (email, phone or text). For curbside delivery, you can receive up to five books or audio CDs and two DVDs. When you receive notification that your holds are ready, come to the library and park in one of the designated spots in the parking lot on the Winder side of the building. Spots are near the entrance, next to the handicapped parking. Call or text the number on the sign and let library staff know you have arrived and your spot number. There is a table set up, and staff will bring your holds out and place them on the table under your spot number, give you a big wave, and you can grab your holds from the table. If you have books to return, please place them in the outside book drop. If you are unable to leave your house due to physical limitations or COVID precautions, please call (252) 438-3316, ext. 223, to arrange for no-contact delivery through the library’s adult outreach coordinator. Perry Memorial Library looks forward to getting books, audiobooks and DVDs back in your hands!
- Shopping Angels is an entirely volunteer-based program where volunteers grocery shop for individuals who are especially at-risk for COVID-19 and/or those with other health issues, seniors, parents of young children and those who are self-isolating due to possible COVID-19 exposure. Volunteers or “shopping angels” are matched with recipients and will contact them for a grocery list. Wearing a mask and gloves, volunteers will then go grocery shopping, bring the groceries to the recipient’s door, return to their car and call the recipient to let them know their groceries have arrived. The volunteers keep in touch with recipients throughout the process and, upon delivery, recipients exchange cash for their items or work out another payment arrangement that is more convenient. Clients are never expected to pay more than the exact cost of the groceries as reflected on the receipt, are never expected to pay before groceries are delivered and are not expected to pay gas money, tips or delivery fees. Shopping Angels allows you to request services for yourself or a specific person such as a family member by visiting www.shoppingangelsglobal.org and clicking on the “Request Services” tab. To volunteer, to request service or to become a sponsor, visit www.shoppingangelsglobal.org and complete the appropriate form. For those without computer access, those who need assistance with the forms or with general questions, please contact Scarlette Walker directly at (252) 226-0131. If Walker is unavailable, please leave a voicemail and your call will be returned.
- The Masonic Home for Children at Oxford provides a safe haven for children to grow, learn, and develop. MHCO can provide for your children as you manage the challenges you and your family face. Parents maintain guardianship and scholarships are available to provide the cost of care. To refer a child in need – call 919-693-5111 or visit our website at www.mhc-oxford,org today.
- FAMILIES LIVING VIOLENCE FREE: 24/7 Crisis line English 919-693-5700 and 24/7 Crisis line Hispanic 919-690-0888. There is always someone there to listen, to help! Everything is confidential. Please…you could be saving a life….it could be your own. As concern over COVID-19 continues to grow, Families Living Violence Free has implemented an emergency plan to continue to provide services to our clients. First and foremost, we are concerned for everyone’s health and well-being. Effective Immediately: Crisis Hotline: Will be fully operating 24/7 for advocacy, connection to resources, supportive counseling and safety planning. Services will be provided by our advocates. For Victims and Survivors of Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault: Families Living Violence Free will remain open during normal business hours to respond to client needs. After hours the crisis line will remain open. Clients are strongly encouraged to conduct business via phone or email when appropriate. If you are in immediate physical danger, please call 911. If further services are needed, you can contact advocates on the hotline at: 919-693-5700(English) 919-690-0888(Hispanic). Families Living Violence Free has advocates trained in Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault. If you have any concerns or questions, feel free to call FLVF at the above numbers at any time. Please be safe!
- Area Christians Together In Service: The Food Pantry at ACTS of Henderson can always use your assistance. Dry cereal, jars of peanut butter, boxes or packets of instant potatoes, “Helper” mixes (like Hamburger or Chicken Helper), canned fruit, ramen noodles, boxed mac & cheese and canned fruit are needed, at last check. Plastic zipper bags are needed as well–all sizes. Please consider picking up some of these items and dropping them by. ACTS is located at 201 South William Street in Henderson, and items may be brought between 8:30 a.m. and 3 p.m. If you need to bring them at another time, please call (252) 492-8231, and arrangements will be made.
- Granville Vance Public Health offers Medication Assisted Treatment within the Primary Care Clinic. Patients seen for Medication Assisted Treatment (MAT) will be treated with kindness and respect, no different from any other patient. This is a judgment-free zone. Most insurance is accepted for visits and medication. Lab testing will be billed through LabCorp for special low rates. For more information or to make an appointment call the Granville Co. Health Department at 919-693-2141 or the Vance Co. Health Department at 252-492-7915. One day off heroin or opioids is a successful start to a better quality of life.
- North Carolina Guardian ad Litem: Advocate for the best interest of abused and neglected children in court. If you would like to find out more about being the voice for a child, visit www.volunteerforgal.org or call the Guardian ad Litem Office at 252-430-5121 or 919-497-4244.
- Salvation Army Family Store located at 218 Raleigh Rd. in Henderson, beside Dollar Tree. Consider donating. Large items can be be picked up by calling 252-558-1050 and small items can be brought to the store. All items are sold at the store at a low price to fund the programs in Vance County that make a difference in people’s lives. Store hours are 9 am to 5 pm Monday through Friday and 9 am to 4 pm on Saturday.
- Vance County Animal Shelter: Donations of cleaning supplies like Clorox and food for puppies, kittens, dogs and cats always needed and welcomed.
- Vance County Board of Elections — Public access to the Board of Elections office is controlled by the County Board of Elections. All members of the public are encouraged to call the office (492-3730) ahead of visiting should they have any questions or need anything like voter registration forms, reports, etc. The staff will report to work their normal business hours – 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday-Friday. There is a drop-off mailbox outside of the Director’s office for mail. Email email@example.com for more information.