-Press Release, U.S. Department of Justice
The United States Attorney for the Eastern District of North Carolina, Robert J. Higdon, Jr., announced that today, AQUILLA BROWN, 27, of Henderson, North Carolina, was sentenced by Judge Louise W. Flanagan to 105 months imprisonment followed by 3 years of supervised release.
BROWN was named in an Indictment on June 27, 2017, charging him with Possession of a Firearm and Ammunition by a Felon. On February 15, 2018, BROWN pled guilty to the charge.
On March 15, 2017, the Henderson Police Department (HPD) initiated a traffic stop on a vehicle for traffic infractions. BROWN was a passenger in that vehicle. After obtaining identification from the driver and BROWN, the HPD became aware of the frequent alleged drug-trafficking activities by BROWN. Based on this information, a K-9 unit responded to the scene and made a positive alert to the presence of narcotics on BROWN’S side of the vehicle. BROWN stated that he smoked marijuana prior to entering the vehicle. As both occupants exited the vehicle, law enforcement observed the driver attempt to hide an object in her boot which was discovered to be a firearm. BROWN acknowledged ownership of the firearm, a .38 caliber revolver, which was loaded at the time.
This case is part of Project Safe Neighborhoods (PSN), a program bringing together all levels of law enforcement and the communities they serve to reduce violent crime and make our neighborhoods safer for everyone. Attorney General Jeff Sessions reinvigorated PSN in 2017 as part of the Department’s renewed focus on targeting violent criminals, directing all U.S. Attorney’s Offices to work in partnership with federal, state, local, and tribal law enforcement and the local community to develop effective, locally-based strategies to reduce violent crime.
The investigation of this case was conducted by the Henderson Police Department and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms & Explosives (ATF). Assistant United States Attorney S. Katherine Burnette handled the prosecution of this case for the government.
News releases are available on the U. S. Attorney’s webpage at www.usdoj.gov/usao/nce. Follow us on Twitter @USAO_EDNC
Connect With The Author
- Leslie to Speak at Chamber’s Annual Banquet, Citizen of the Year Nominees Needed - November 13, 2018
- H-V Chamber Members Encouraged to Register Now for Christmas Social - November 13, 2018
- Maria Parham Volunteer Services Announces “In the Bag” Handbag Sale - November 13, 2018
- Mark Your Holiday Calendar for Cookies & Milk With Santa - November 13, 2018
- Free Pencil Giveaway Continues at Rebuilding Hope, Inc. - November 13, 2018
- Heavy Rain Expected Early This Week, No Threat of Winter Weather - November 12, 2018
- Henderson Institute Historical Museum to Host ‘Great Gatsby Gala’ at KLCC - November 12, 2018
- Yoga, Slide N Glide & Youth Basketball Extended at Aycock Rec. Center - November 12, 2018
- Leah Hinton to Perform at ‘A Night of Jazz Benefit Concert’ - November 12, 2018
- Reminder: Granville Co. Board of Commissioners to Tour District 5 - November 12, 2018