-Press Release, U.S. Department of Justice
The United States Attorney for the Eastern District of North Carolina, Robert J. Higdon, Jr., announced that today, AQUILLA BROWN, 27, of Henderson, North Carolina, was sentenced by Judge Louise W. Flanagan to 105 months imprisonment followed by 3 years of supervised release.
BROWN was named in an Indictment on June 27, 2017, charging him with Possession of a Firearm and Ammunition by a Felon. On February 15, 2018, BROWN pled guilty to the charge.
On March 15, 2017, the Henderson Police Department (HPD) initiated a traffic stop on a vehicle for traffic infractions. BROWN was a passenger in that vehicle. After obtaining identification from the driver and BROWN, the HPD became aware of the frequent alleged drug-trafficking activities by BROWN. Based on this information, a K-9 unit responded to the scene and made a positive alert to the presence of narcotics on BROWN’S side of the vehicle. BROWN stated that he smoked marijuana prior to entering the vehicle. As both occupants exited the vehicle, law enforcement observed the driver attempt to hide an object in her boot which was discovered to be a firearm. BROWN acknowledged ownership of the firearm, a .38 caliber revolver, which was loaded at the time.
This case is part of Project Safe Neighborhoods (PSN), a program bringing together all levels of law enforcement and the communities they serve to reduce violent crime and make our neighborhoods safer for everyone. Attorney General Jeff Sessions reinvigorated PSN in 2017 as part of the Department’s renewed focus on targeting violent criminals, directing all U.S. Attorney’s Offices to work in partnership with federal, state, local, and tribal law enforcement and the local community to develop effective, locally-based strategies to reduce violent crime.
The investigation of this case was conducted by the Henderson Police Department and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms & Explosives (ATF). Assistant United States Attorney S. Katherine Burnette handled the prosecution of this case for the government.
News releases are available on the U. S. Attorney’s webpage at www.usdoj.gov/usao/nce. Follow us on Twitter @USAO_EDNC
Connect With The Author
- VGCC Trustee L. Opie Frazier Jr. Awarded Order of the Long Leaf Pine - July 17, 2018
- Granville Co. Residents Encouraged to Register for ‘Code Red’ Notification Service - July 17, 2018
- Voting Informational to be Held at Perry Memorial Library, Sat., July 21 - July 17, 2018
- Lunch Break to Educate: Canva for Your Small Business - July 17, 2018
- Oxford’s Public Works Committee to Meet Thurs., July 19 - July 17, 2018
- Theft From Construction Site of Henderson Collegiate School - July 16, 2018
- Simmons to Hold ‘Coffee With A Candidate’ Meet and Greet - July 16, 2018
- Families Living Violence Free to Hold Quarter Auction at Vino Oasi - July 16, 2018
- U.S. Forfeits $700K+ in Proceeds Seized from Convenience Store Operators - July 16, 2018
- Granville Co. Crime Stoppers: Larceny in New Applewood Subdivision - July 16, 2018