-Press Release, U.S. Department of Justice
The United States Attorney for the Eastern District of North Carolina, Robert J. Higdon, Jr., announced that today, AQUILLA BROWN, 27, of Henderson, North Carolina, was sentenced by Judge Louise W. Flanagan to 105 months imprisonment followed by 3 years of supervised release.
BROWN was named in an Indictment on June 27, 2017, charging him with Possession of a Firearm and Ammunition by a Felon. On February 15, 2018, BROWN pled guilty to the charge.
On March 15, 2017, the Henderson Police Department (HPD) initiated a traffic stop on a vehicle for traffic infractions. BROWN was a passenger in that vehicle. After obtaining identification from the driver and BROWN, the HPD became aware of the frequent alleged drug-trafficking activities by BROWN. Based on this information, a K-9 unit responded to the scene and made a positive alert to the presence of narcotics on BROWN’S side of the vehicle. BROWN stated that he smoked marijuana prior to entering the vehicle. As both occupants exited the vehicle, law enforcement observed the driver attempt to hide an object in her boot which was discovered to be a firearm. BROWN acknowledged ownership of the firearm, a .38 caliber revolver, which was loaded at the time.
This case is part of Project Safe Neighborhoods (PSN), a program bringing together all levels of law enforcement and the communities they serve to reduce violent crime and make our neighborhoods safer for everyone. Attorney General Jeff Sessions reinvigorated PSN in 2017 as part of the Department’s renewed focus on targeting violent criminals, directing all U.S. Attorney’s Offices to work in partnership with federal, state, local, and tribal law enforcement and the local community to develop effective, locally-based strategies to reduce violent crime.
The investigation of this case was conducted by the Henderson Police Department and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms & Explosives (ATF). Assistant United States Attorney S. Katherine Burnette handled the prosecution of this case for the government.
News releases are available on the U. S. Attorney’s webpage at www.usdoj.gov/usao/nce. Follow us on Twitter @USAO_EDNC
Connect With The Author
- Granville Co. Provides Relief to Hurricane Victims, First Responders - September 21, 2018
- ‘Stars of the Grand Ole Opry’ to Delight Country Music Fans - September 21, 2018
- Vance Co. Republican Party to Hold “Get Out The Vote” Rally at Pool Rock - September 21, 2018
- Granville Co. Candidate Forum Scheduled for Oct. 2 - September 21, 2018
- Granville Co. Board of Education to Meet for Work Session – Thurs., Sept. 27 - September 21, 2018
- Drug Activity Complaints Lead to Arrest of Franklin Co. Man - September 21, 2018
- Vance Co. Animal Services Recipient of $7K+ Spay/Neuter Grant - September 20, 2018
- Red Cross: Blood, Platelet Donations Needed in Wake of Florence - September 20, 2018
- ‘Laugh It Up!’ Comedy Show to Entertain at McGregor Hall - September 20, 2018
- ‘A Dash of Hope’ 5K Run/Walk to Raise Funds for Community Partners of Hope - September 20, 2018