-Press Release, Granville County Public Schools
Granville County Public Schools’ “Parent University” kickoff on April 30, 2019, was a resounding success. The evening was punctuated by youth performances from around the district. When parents and special guests arrived, they were treated to the crescendo and raucous sounds of West Oxford Elementary students led by teacher Michael Epps.
Once inside, there was more musical excitement from the drumline of Mary Potter Middle School led by Mr. Detroit Yancey.
The special guest speakers were evangelist and former district and superior court judge Carolyn Thompson, founder of Abigail’s Ministry. Mrs. Thompson spoke about several child safety topics and gave parents strategies and best practices.
Our next guest speaker was Ms. Dedra Eatmon, founder and CEO of Tassel to Tassel. As a college transition strategist who imparts life skills and empowerment through her organization, she challenged our parents and kids to hold each other accountable and set goals for the destination of college.
The event also featured several choral selections from Stovall-Shaw Elementary and their choir, as well as Mary Potter Middle Schools’ Alyssa Hester who contributed beautifully to a great event.
After the event, there were community organizations and district student support departments represented to provide parents and guests with resources and support for their role as parents.
Granville County Public Schools extends a huge thank you to everyone who attended and contributed to the event’s success!
Connect With The Author
- BoE Announces Henderson Candidates; Filing Extended for 3rd Ward - July 19, 2019
- Town of Kittrell, Middleburg Nov. Election Candidates Announced - July 19, 2019
- State Cabinet Secretary Visits VGCC - July 19, 2019
- Granville Co. Board of Election Releases Candidate Names - July 19, 2019
- VCSO: Silver Alert Issued for Robert Lewis Rogers - July 19, 2019
- Vance Co. Properties, Water Committee to Meet July 22 - July 19, 2019
- Deported Alien, Previously Found in Granville Co., Charged With Illegal Reentry - July 19, 2019
- Granville Board of Education to Meet in Closed Session - July 19, 2019
- Vance County Schools Announces Leadership Changes - July 18, 2019
- High School Students Explore Medical Science at VGCC South Campus - July 18, 2019