100.1 FM / 1450 AM WIZS; Local News broadcasts M-F 8am, 12pm, 5pm
-Press Release, Granville County Government
The four branches of the Granville County Library System welcome the third full week of August with a wide variety of events, presentations and activities. From cooking competitions to assistance with computers and smartphones, each library offers more than just books, but a “gathering place” for cultural enrichment as well as informational programming.
A lawn and gardening class will be offered at the Thornton Library in Oxford on Tuesday, August 20 as Johnny Coley, Horticulture Agent for NC Cooperative Extension, provides tips on how to start and maintain a healthy lawn.
Topics discussed include soil testing, fertilization, liming, herbicides and more. This class is scheduled for 6 p.m. and is open to the public.
On Wednesday, August 21, join the South Branch Library for “Harry Potter and the Battle for the House Cup.” Ages 9 to 14 can participate by joining a team in “Hogwart’s House” to earn points, with the winning team taking home the prized “house cup.”
Registration is available online at https://granville.lib.nc.us or at the front desk of the library, which is located at 1547 South Campus Drive in Creedmoor.
Every Thursday night is “Game Night” at the Richard H. Thornton Library in Oxford. From 6 until 8 p.m. on August 22, enjoy a variety of Board games in friendly competitions. All ages are invited.
And each Friday at 10 a.m., “Drop-In Tech Help” is available for those needing assistance with computers or smartphones. Learn to set up an email account, how to post on social media and much more.
“DIY” classes continue as participants learn to make a scented teacup candle in a series of “Crafternoon” sessions. Next week’s class will be held at the Berea branch at 2 p.m. on August 22, with registration recommended.
Those interested, ages 12 and up, can register at https://granville.lib.nc.us/DIY-Candlemaking/. Participation is free, with all materials donated by Candlescience.
For those who enjoy baking, a dessert competition will be held at the South Branch at 3 p.m. on Saturday, August 24. Enter a homemade dessert for a chance to win a free shopping gift card. Judges are also needed for this contest.
For more details or to enter the contest, contact the South Branch at 919-528-1752.
For the younger set, Story Times are offered at all four library branches. The theme for the third week of August is “Ninjas!” Children are encouraged to attend a fun and educational program at the Stovall Library on Mondays at 10:30 a.m.; at the South Branch in Creedmoor on Tuesdays at 10:30 a.m.; at the Berea branch on Tuesdays at 1 p.m. and at the Thornton Library in Oxford at 10:30 a.m. on Wednesdays.
The STEAM program (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Math) also continues at the Thornton Library each Thursday at 4 p.m. for kindergarteners through students in grade 8.
Contact Children’s Librarian Amy Carlson at 919-693-1121 for details.
To learn more about upcoming events scheduled at your local public library in Oxford, Creedmoor, Stovall and Berea, visit https://granville.lib.nc.us.
Connect With The Author
- Is Your Small Business Prepared for a Disaster? Find Out at ‘Lunch Break to Educate’ - August 19, 2019
- City Council to Consider Contracting With Firm in Manager Hiring Process - August 19, 2019
- Granville Co. Senior Services Now Affiliated With ‘Rock Steady Boxing’ - August 19, 2019
- Carolina Panthers’ Backup Quarterbacks Fail to Impress in Preseason Matchup - August 19, 2019
- VGCC’s 50th Anniversary Celebration to Include Food Truck Rodeo, Live Music - August 16, 2019
- Henderson/Vance Annual Night Out Against Crime Scheduled for Oct. 1 - August 16, 2019
- Concord Baptist Church in Kittrell to Hold Women’s Conference - August 16, 2019
- Five Aliens Indicted on Illegal Reentry Charges, Two Found in Granville Co. - August 16, 2019
- Animal Services to Waive Adoption Fees for National Clear the Shelter Event - August 15, 2019
- Annual ‘Cops on Top’ Event to Raise Money for Special Olympics of NC - August 15, 2019