On the Home and Garden Show with Vance Co. Cooperative Ext.
- Nights are getting cooler start planning your season extension measures etc row covers, sheets, cardboard.
- Don’t be too quick to clean up perennial beds. The dried stalks and foliage can provide overwintering habitat for beneficial insects and cover for birds.
- With cooler temps scout your property for fire ants. Granule baits work well when fire ants are foraging
- If you plan to use a cover crop in your vegetable garden, order seed now.
- Your fall vegetables may need top dressing check your garden journal for when they were last fertilized.
- Plant trees, shrubs, bulbs, perennials, pansies, strawberries.
- Now is the time to collect soil samples. Avoid the rush!
- Educate yourself about invasive species.
- Clean equipment that you know you are not going to use this fall and store correctly
- Would you like to grow pecans? Make plans now by researching cultivars and identifying nurseries.
- Remember Lawnmower safety. Check the lawn for debris, use PPE hearing and eye protection and Please No Extra Riders one seat equals one person on the mower!