- As temperatures warm it is time for Spring cleaning! Consider donating your used goods to the Salvation Army Family store located at 218 Raleigh Rd. in Henderson right down the road from the Dollar Tree. Large items can be be picked up by calling 252-558-1050 and small items can be brought to the store. All items are sold at the store at a low price to fund the programs in Vance County that make a difference in people’s lives. Store hours are 9 am to 5 pm Monday through Friday and 9 am to 4 pm on Saturday.
- The First Baptist Church of Henderson is pleased to announce upcoming Lenten Lunches and Lessons. They will be Mondays from March 11 through April 8 at noon in the Fellowship Hall at First Baptist. A light lunch will be served in addition to the brief time of worship. Worship will focus around the themes of Lent and will be guided by First Baptist Church ministers as well as special guests from the area. Lunch will be open from 11:45am until 12:15pm. There is no charge for lunch, but donations will be welcomed. Reservations are not required but will be helpful. To sign up, please contact the First Baptist Church office at (252) 438-3172.
- The Baptist Men of West End Baptist Church in Henderson will be sponsoring a “Trout” Fish Fry Fundraiser to support our Local Ministries on Monday March 18, 2019 from 4 pm until 7 pm at the 220 Seafood Restaurant located at 1812 Norlina Rd. in Henderson.
Plates will include trout, cole slaw, French fries, and hush puppies for $7.00 per plate. Eat in or take out, (beverage provided with eat in meals only). Tickets can be purchased in advance from any West End Baptist Church member. Your support is greatly appreciated.
All proceeds will be used to support our Local Ministries which include ACTS, Lifeline Ministries, Rebuilding Hope, GRACE Ministries and many others.
- Pancake Supper fundraiser held by Spring Valley United Methodist Men at Spring Valley Untied Methodist Church, 955 Spring Valley Road in Henderson on March 19, 2019 from 5:00 pm to 7:00 pm. Cost is $7.00 each for Pancake supper, which also includes sausage. Drink will be provided for those eat in, but take out is available for plates.
- The Flat Creek Missionary Baptist Church Male Choir will be celebrating their 32nd Singing Anniversary on Sunday, March 24, 2019 at 4:00 p.m. at the church 1135 Stagecoach Road, Henderson, NC. Appearing on the program will be the Rev. Vincent and the Volunaries of Littleton, NC; Mt. Zion UCC Male Choir, The Soullifters of Henderson; Davis Chapel Chorus of Stovall and Mr. Harvey Robinson of Kittrell. The Pastor, Rev. William Everett and the Flat Creek Congregation invites you to attend.
- Davis Chapel MBC present the play “Heavenly Choir” on Saturday April 6, 2019 at 5:00 pm at the church located at 742 North Chestnut St. in Henderson. For more information contact the church at 252-438-0940.
- Plank Chapel Walk to De-feet Dementia will be held on Saturday April 6, 2019 at 9:00 am at 2543 Rocky Ford Rd. in Kittrell. This noncompetitive (approx. 5k walk/run) allows for children, strollers and dogs to accompany the walkers and runners. No registration fee, donations are encouraged and appreciated. Join and share in the communities efforts to share the memories and never forget. To register visit www.dementianc.org/plankchapel2019. And for more information call the church at 252-492-1919.
- Franklin Granville Vance Smart Start presents Slime Walk on April 6, 2019 at Franklinton High School 910 Cedar Creek Rd. in Franklinton. Registration is at 9:30 am and start time is 10:00 am to 1:00 pm. For more information contact FGV Smart Start at 252-433-9110 ext: 224.
- The Veterans Dog Walk: Paws, Tails and Boots Veterans, First Responders, Families and Dogs helping each other. This event will be held at the Vance County Animal Shelter 1243 Brodie Rd. in Henderson on April 13, 2019 from 9:15 am to 11:30 am. All are welcome to come out to this fun event. For more information visit http://www.vancecounty.org/departments/animal control/
- Henderson American Legion Post 60 will be having a Chicken Plate Sale. Only $8 for 1/2 Chicken, Green Beans, Red-Skinned Potatoes, Dessert and Bread, pick up or stay and eat at the corner of E. Spring St. and S. Garnett St. in Henderson on Friday April 15, 2019 from 11:00 am to 2:00 pm. Will deliver for 6 or more plates. Proceeds benefit Vance County Veterans, get your tickets by calling Annette Roberson at 252-432-2432.
- “The Joy of Easter” outdoor Musical Passion Play will take place on Saturday and Sunday, April 20 and 21,2019 at 8 PM at First Baptist Church on Becker Drive in Roanoke Rapids, NC. The musical Passion play takes place in the church’s amphitheater located on the back property of the church. The story depicts the life, death, burial, resurrection, and ascension of Christ. Come experience the action, drama, and emotion of the Easter story in an outdoor Biblical setting. Admission is free, and donations are welcome. All are invited to this exciting outdoor event. The church is located at 515 Becker Drive in Roanoke Rapids, NC at the corner of Old Farm Road and Becker Drive across from B & J’s Cash and Carry, the New Republic Bank, and the BP Station. For more information, please call the church at (252)537-6171 or access the church website at www.fbcrrweb.org.
- If someone you know or someone you suspect is a victim of domestic violence, please call FAMILIES LIVING VIOLENCE FREE 24/7 Crisis line English 919-693-5700 and 24/7 Crisis line Hispanic 919-690-0888. There is always someone there to listen, to help! Everything is confidential. Please…you could be saving a life….it could be your own.
- On disability and looking to come back to work? NTI is the leader in helping individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans back into the workplace. We’ve already helped over 1,200 individuals within Vance County through our job services and, considering 1 in every 6 Americans has a disability, there are a lot more to help. If you are on SSI or SSDI and are looking to re-enter the workforce, learn more about the services we offer and register for our program at bit.ly/1450HelpsAmericansWithDisabilities. Our services are FREE to the public throughout America and we even offer free customer service training for those who qualify. If you have questions about what we offer, visit our Facebook page at facebook.com/nticentral. and IM us. Maybe we can be the ones to help.
- Do you need home repairs? Are you on a fixed income? Mission Legacy Inc. has partnered with contractors that provide low-cost repairs, based on income. For more information or to register for affordable home repairs call 252-204-0909 or email [email protected]
- Granville Vance Public Health is offering Medication Assisted Treatment within Primary Care Clinic. Patients seen for Medication Assisted Treatment (MAT) will be treated with kindness and respect, no different from any other patient. This is a judgment-free zone. Most insurance is accepted for visits and medication. Lab testing will be billed through LabCorp for special low rates. For more information or to make an appointment call the Granville Co. Health Department at 919-693-2141 or the Vance Co. Health Department at 252-492-7915. We believe even one day off heroin or opioids is a successful start to a better quality of life.
- It is important to stay safe when using your generator. The outdoor power equipment institute recommends reviewing your owner’s manual and following all manufacturer instructions. Make sure your generator is well ventilated. Place it outside and away from windows, doors and vents. Never use a generator inside your home or garage. Install a battery-operated carbon monoxide detector. For more safety tips go to opei.org.
- Could you be the voice for a child in court? Train to become a volunteer with the North Carolina Guardian ad Litem program and advocate for the best interest of abused and neglected children in court. If you would like to find out more about being the voice for a child, visit www.volunteerforgal.org or call the Guardian ad Litem Office at 252-430-5121 or 919-497-4244.
- The Vance County Animal Shelter is in need of Clorox to help clean the cages. Also in need of food for puppies, dogs, cats and kittens.
- The Food Pantry at ACTS is very low, please consider donating some of the following items: peanut butter, jelly, canned meats, canned vegetables except green beans and corn, powdered milk, canned or dried beans, rice, instant mashed potatoes, boxed mac and cheese, pasta, boxed cereal, canned fruit, instant cup of soup noodles, applesauce cups, bottled water, juice boxes or pouches, pudding cups and evaporated milk. Consider asking your church or civic group to hold a Food Drive. Items may be brought to 305 South Chestnut St. in Henderson between 7:45 – 10:30 a.m. and 12:30 – 2:30 p.m.
- The Kindle Ministry at Clearview Church is in need of more volunteers for Gang-Free, Inc. Volunteers are needed on Mondays from 4-6:30 p.m. to help kids with their homework, play games, serve meals and spend time with the kids. Mondays are days that Kindle serves with Gang-Free, but volunteer positions are available every day of the week. For more information contact Cara Gill at 252-425-4280.
- Help Seniors get hired! Are you 55 or older and looking for a job? NC NCBA-SCSEP supports over 300 part-time positions in 18 counties by providing hands-on workplace settings for seniors to develop new skills and talents and support community service activities. Must meet income guidelines, able to work 20 hours per week, participate in job search and earn minimum wage stipend. For more info call Beryle Lewis at 919-693-2686 or email [email protected]