Public Service Announcements
To ensure your public service announcement is advertised, WIZS has made a policy change. We no longer accept hand-written submissions. This change will ensure the on-air personalities can read your announcement.
You may now submit your information on the form below. We ask that your submission be email at least two weeks prior to the event in order to serve you better. WIZS will be happy to post your event below and announce it on air.
Current Public Service Announcements
- The Vance County Animal Shelter is in need of Clorox to help clean the cages. Also in need of food for puppies, dogs, cats and kittens.
- Loose leaf collection will begin the week of Oct. 23 and will end mid-January. This involves the use of a vacuum machine and trucks therefore it is essential that leaves be free of rocks, trash and limbs so the equipment is not damaged. You may continue to bag leaves or place in a container, however it is not required until the loose leaf pickup season is over. Loose leaves must be raked behind the curb, not into storm drains, ditches or gutters on the street. Bagged leaves must be in CLEAR plastic bags and weigh less than 50 lbs per bag. Bags must be left at the curb, do not put in street or gutters and ditches. Make certain no leaves are left on top of your water meter. Leaves will generally be picked up on a two or three week rotation, however this is dependent on weather conditions and leaf accumulation. If you have any questions call the Public Services Dept. at 252-431-6115 or 252-431-6118. Also, keep in mind after January 19, 2018 if leaves are not bagged there will be a $75 charge.
- The “Shop with a Cop” program helps underprivileged children and struggling families who would otherwise go without during the holidays. Individuals selected through the raffle will have the opportunity to Shop with a Cop with one of Henderson’s and Vance County’s law enforcement officers. To participate you can pick up an application on Nov 6, 7, 8, 9 and 13 at the front desk of the HPD 200 Breckenridge St; the Vance County Sheriff’s Office at 156 Church St or the Department of Social Services 350 Ruin Creek Rd. Completed applications must be returned to any of the three pickup locations no later than 5:00 PM on Monday November 13. Completing a referral does not guarantee assistance.
- The Vance County Department of Social Services will hold the Christmas Cheer Program from November 15 to December 15. You can sponsor a local foster child this Christmas. For more information on how to participate personally or through a business or church call 252-436-0407.
- Turkeyshoot will be held at The Range at Tru North 5027 Hancock Rd. in Oxford on November 18 at 5:00 PM. Bring your own shotgun, shells will be furnished. 12 gauge for adults and .410 for children 15 and under. There will be hotdogs, raffles and prizes. Bring the family out for a night of fun! Sponsored by Angels Among Us Relay Team, all proceeds go to the American Cancer Society.
- The Cook Family from Denton NC will be featured in a gospel singing on Saturday Nov. 18 at 6:00 PM at Joy in the Lord Baptist Church located at 1238 Debnam Ave in Henderson. Everyone is welcome to attend.
- Handcrafted Holiday Market will be held on Saturday Nov. 18 at the Vance County Regional Farmers Market from 8:00 AM until 2:00 PM. There will be unique gifts, baked goods, wreaths, glassware, pottery, original art, crocheted and knitted items, soaps, wooden crafts, jewelry, ornaments, honey, jams, jellies, salsas, meats, eggs, lots of fall produce and so much more! Plus you can meet Santa! The Chewly Delicious Jamaican Food Truck will be on site for meals.
- The 4th Annual Tables of Love Fellowship Celebration is scheduled for Sat. Nov. 18 at 12:00 noon at New Beginning Ministries Inc. Parade of tables and Fellowship Luncheon will follow immediately after service. For more information call Tonya at 252-915-7018 or email [email protected]
- On Nov. 18 Grace Ministries will start their 1st Annual prayer and a meal. The Meal will be held at Harriett Baptist Church 935 S. Carolina Ave in Henderson. Hoping to cook a minimum of 120 turkeys to serve the community. Meal will start at 11:00 AM until food is gone. Serving will consist of turkey, at least three vegetables and dessert. Dine in or take out. If you would like to help as a volunteer to pray, deliver plates, serve, donate financially or donate food items please call Jamie at 252-204-3617 or Bobby at 252-432-7124.
- West End Community Watch meeting will be held on Tuesday Nov. 21 at 6:30 PM at the church. Speaker will be Mike Waters, District Attorney. Law enforcement personnel will be present to make police reports and hear concerns.
- The Warren County Farm-City Celebration will be held at the Warren County Armory 501 US Hwy 158-Bus, East Warrenton from 6:30 PM until 8:30 PM on Nov. 21. Pleas join us to celebrate farmers and enjoy a hot dinner featuring local ingredients.
- The Zeb Vance Ruritan Club will be cooking and selling Boston Butts for Thanksgiving. Pre-sale only $25.00. They will be ready for pickup on Wednesday Nov. 22 from 10 AM until 2 PM at the Bearpond Fire Dept. parking lot at 325 Bearpond Rd. in Henderson. Contact any Ruritan member or phone 252-767-4044 to place your order. Proceeds benefit local student scholarships and club projects.
- The Carey Chapel Community Watch will hold its next meeting at 6:00 PM on Monday Nov. 27 in the Fellowship Hall of Carey Baptist Church located on Carey Chapel Road. Please note the change in the meeting place will be permanent until further notice. Lorraine Watkins with Crime Stoppers will be the guest speaker. All members and area residents are encouraged to attend.
- The Townsville Christmas Parade will be held on Dec. 2 at 2:00 PM. Come out and celebrate this joyous occasion! Krispy Kreme donuts will be on sale for $7 per box.
- Bench Press contest will be held at the YMCA on Dec. 2 at 12:00 PM. Weigh ins will be from 7:00 AM until 11:00 AM, adult entry fee is $35.00, teens $25.00. Cover charge at the door is $3.00, children 12 and under free. For more information email [email protected]
- “A Journey Back to Bethlehem”, experience the reenactment of the first Christmas, follow the star as you drive through the living nativity that brings Christmas to life. Presented with live animals, actors and singing angels that tell the story of Jesus Christ birth. The living nativity will take place Saturday Dec. 9 through Monday Dec. 11 from 6:00 PM to 8:30 PM each night. This event is free and the church is located at 1315 College St. near the Granville Health System in Oxford.
- The Polar Express 5k will be held on Dec. 9 at Kerr Lake Satterwhite Point. Registration begins at 9 AM and race starts at 10 AM. For more information call the Henderson Family YMCA at 252-438-2144 or visit www.hendersonymca.org.
- The Food Pantry at ACTS is very low, please consider donating some of the following items: peanut butter, jelly, canned meats, canned vegetables except grean beans and corn, powdered milk, canned or dried beans, rice, instant mashed potatoes, boxed mac and cheese, pasta, boxed cereal, canned fruit, instant cup of soup noodles, applesauce cups, bottled water, juice boxes or pouches, pudding cups and evaporated milk. Consider asking your church or civic group to hold a Food Drive. Items may be brought to 305 South Chestnut St. in Henderson between 7:45 AM – 10:30 AM and 12:30 PM – 2:30 PM.
- The Henderson-Vance Chamber of Commerce Scam Call Advisory. It has come to the attention of the Chamber that an individual calling himself “Dan” is calling local business saying he is with the Vance County Chamber of Commerce fishing for information to update a database. Please DO NOT give any information to this person and hang up.
- Beginning Yoga will be held at Aycock Recreation Center in the Multi-Purpose Room on Thursday nights from 6:15 PM to 7:00 PM with Beryle Lewis. These sessions are based on basic Yoga techniques to inspire physical, mental and spiritual peace from within through balance, stretching and breathing. Bring your own Yoga mat. Fee for members is $1.00 and non-members $2.00. For more information contact Steve Osborne at 252-438-2670.
- The Kindle Ministry at Clearview Church is in need of more volunteers for Gang-Free, Inc. Volunteers are needed on Mondays from 4:00-6:30 PM to help kids with their homework, play games, serve meals and spend time with the kids. Mondays are days that Kindle serves with Gang-Free, but volunteer positions are available every day of the week. For more information contact Cara Gill at 252-425-4280.
- Help Seniors get hired! Are you 55 or older and looking for a job? NC NCBA-SCSEP supports over 300 part time positions in 18 counties by providing hands on workplace settings for seniors to develop new skills and talents and support community service activities. Must meet income guidelines, able to work 20 hours per week, participate in job search and earn minimum wage stipend. For more info call Beryle Lewis at 919-693-2686 or email [email protected]