Public Service Announcements
To ensure your public service announcement is advertised, WIZS has made a policy change. We no longer accept hand-written submissions. This change will ensure the on-air personalities can read your announcement.
You may now submit your information on the form below. We ask that your submission be email at least two weeks prior to the event in order to serve you better. WIZS will be happy to post your event below and announce it on air.
Current Public Service Announcements
- Help Seniors get hired! Are you 55 or older and looking for a job? NC NCBA-SCSEP supports over 300 part time positions in 18 counties by providing hands on workplace settings for seniors to develop new skills and talents and support community service activities. Must meet income guidelines, able to work 20 hours per week, participate in job search and earn minimum wage stipend. For more info call Beryle Lewis at 919-693-2686 or email [email protected]
- Downtown Oxford Movie Nights return on Hillsborough St. on Thursday June 22 with the Secret Life of Pets, Thursday July 20 with Honey, I Shrunk the Kids and Thursday August 17 with Power Rangers. Concessions will be open at 8:00 PM and the movie begins at 8:30 PM. Bring a flashlight and lawn chair or blanket.
- Meet Me in the Street Concerts return Thursday June 22 with Steve Owen’s and Summertime and Thursday September 14th with Liquid Pleasure. In addition to music and dancing, a kids section will also be included this year. So bring the family for an evening of food, friends and fun! All concerts are free and will be held at the corner of North Garnett and Breckenridge Streets from 5:30 to 8:30 PM.
- The Drewry Volunteer Fire Department will have their Annual Fish Fry and Fried Chicken Supper on Saturday June 24 from 4:00 until 7:30 PM. Dine in is all you can eat or take out, cost is $10 per plate which includes fried chicken, fish, potatoes, slaw, hush puppies and tea.
- The Granville County Beekeepers Association invites you to the 2nd Annual Bee Jubilee on Saturday June 24 from 9:00 AM – 4:00 PM at the Granville County Expo Center Hwy 15 in Oxford. There will be local arts and crafts, bee products and supplies, produce and plants, food and fun, kids activities and a silent auction. This event is FREE and open to the public.
- Mount Zion Christian Church Neighborhood Jamboree will be held on Saturday June 24 from 11:00 AM until 6:00 PM at 995 Burr St. in Henderson. There will be food, games, basketball competition, drinks, choirs, praise dancing and preaching. Fun for all and everything is FREE!
- On June 25 at 3:00 PM the Pastors Aid of Antioch United Church of Christ in Townsville will be celebrating their anniversary. The theme of the program is the seven churches and will have seven speakers to represent each church. Please come and help celebrate!
- Pastor Bonnie Davis of House of Hope Kingdom Ministries will be the guest speaker at Young Memorial United Holy Church on June 25 at 3:30 PM. Everyone is invited to attend.
- Unashamed will be singing on Sunday June 25 at 6:00 PM at Blessed Hope Baptist Church. All are invited to attend.
- The Maria Parham Health Relay for Life Fundraiser will be held at 220 Seafood Restaurant on Monday June 26 from 4:00 to 7:00 PM. The cost is $7 per plate and includes trout, fries, cole slaw and hush puppies. Drink included with dine in only. Take out plates are available. Proceeds benefit Relay for Life Vance County.
- New Beginning Ministries, Inc. and the Ambassadors of Jesus Christ Association, Inc will host the 17th Annual Ambassadors Youth Conference from Tuesday June 27 – Friday June 30 beginning at 6:45 PM nightly. All area youth of all ages are encouraged to attend. The conference will close on Friday evening with Tent City, a fundraiser designed to bring awareness to homelessness and the plight of Haitian families who are residing in tents. Participants are asked to donate $20 per tent site and join for an overnight experience filled with worship, fellowship, food and fun. For more information call 252-492-2412.
- The Henderson-Vance Recreation and Parks presents “Concert in the Park” with Just Friends Jazz Quintet on Saturday July 1 from 4:00 PM to 6:00 PM at the Fox Pond Amphitheater. This event is FREE and open to the public.
- The Independence Day Celebration will be held on July 1, featuring a parade down Garnett St. starting at 10:00 AM and activities to follow on Breckenridge St. in downtown Henderson. If you would like to be be a vendor or performer visit the Henderson Vance Downtown Development Commission website for forms. You may also participate if you are a church or non profit. For more information email [email protected]
- The Ridgeway Cantaloupe Festival will be held on July 8 from 10:00 AM until 4:00 PM. There will be cantaloupe, brunswick stew, hot dogs, festival refreshments and foods. Historical displays, kiddie rides, horse back rides and arts and crafts vendors. Plus local entertainment!
- The 9th Annual Clarksville Bluegrass Gospel Concert will be held on Saturday July 29 at 6:00 PM. Advance tickets $12, Door $15, Children 12 and under free with adult. For tickets and information call Rodney/Carole Barwick at 434-374-0143 or Ryland/Wilma Overbey at 434-374-8802.
The Farmers Market will be open Wednesdays and Saturdays 7:30 AM – 1:00 PM. In addition to fresh local produce and products, the market will feature special events and gardening classes throughout the 2017 season. For more information about the Vance County Regional Farmers Market, view our website at vancecounty.org, follow us on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram. Persons interested in selling at the VCRFM may contact Tracy Madigan at 252-598-0814 or Paul McKenzie at 252 438-8188. The VCRFM is located at 210 Southpark Dr. in Henderson NC, off Beckford Dr. behind the DaVita Dialysis Center.
- The Farmers Market will be open in front of the Henderson Police Station on Breckenridge Street on Fridays May through September from 11:00 AM until 4:00 PM. EBT and SNAP accepted.
- The Kindle Ministry at Clearview Church is in need of more volunteers for Gang-Free, Inc. Volunteers are needed on Mondays from 4:00-6:30 PM to help kids with their homework, play games, serve meals and spend time with the kids. Mondays are days that Kindle serves with Gang-Free, but volunteer positions are available every day of the week. For more information contact Cara Gill at 252-425-4280.
- The Franklin-Vance-Warren Opportunity, Inc. Head Start is accepting children for the 2017-2018 Program Year for Franklin, Vance Warren and Granville Counties. Children must be 3 years of age as of August 31st, 2017. Parents of children with mental, physical or emotional impairments are encouraged to apply. The program will make special provisions to serve children with special needs. These provisions include, but are not limited to, adaptive equipment and transportation. For more information call Beth Darnell at 252-492-4196.
- Vance County Schools are currently accepting pre-kindergarten applications and kindergarten registration at all elementary schools for the 2017-2018 school year. To apply for pre-kindergarten children must be 4 years old on or before August 31st. To register for kindergarten, children should be 5 years old on or before August 31st. Parents are urged to go to the elementary school in the area where they live now to register their children for the upcoming school year.
- Mother Goose Story Time will be held on Thursdays at 11:00 AM for ages 2-5 years old at Perry Memorial Library 205 Breckenridge St. in Henderson. For more info visit www.perrylibrary.org.