Public Service Announcements
To ensure your public service announcement is advertised, WIZS has made a policy change. We no longer accept hand-written submissions. This change will ensure the on-air personalities can read your announcement.
You may now submit your information on the form below. We ask that your submission be email at least two weeks prior to the event in order to serve you better. WIZS will be happy to post your event below and announce it on air.
Current Public Service Announcements
- The Vance County Schools are seeking adults to work as bus drivers. Any individual who currently have the appropriate licenses to drive a school bus or those who are interested in being trained are asked to contact the school’s Transportation Department by phone at 252-438-5012 or Dean Thomas, coordinator for Student Transportation Services, by email at [email protected]
- The Food Pantry at ACTS is very low, please consider donating some of the following items: peanut butter, jelly, canned meats, canned vegetables except grean beans and corn, powdered milk, canned or dried beans, rice, instant mashed potatoes, boxed mac and cheese, pasta, boxed cereal, canned fruit, instant cup of soup noodles, applesauce cups, bottled water, juice boxes or pouches, pudding cups and evaporated milk. Consider asking your church or civic group to hold a Food Drive. Items may be brought to 305 South Chestnut St. in Henderson between 7:45 AM – 10:30 AM and 12:30 PM – 2:30 PM.
- The Henderson-Vance Chamber of Commerce Scam Call Advisory. It has come to the attention of the Chamber that an individual calling himself “Dan” is calling local business saying he is with the Vance County Chamber of Commerce fishing for information to update a database. Please DO NOT give any information to this person and hang up.
- The Boys and Girls Club of Vance County is looking for table captains for their upcoming “Be Great Breakfast” at the Henderson Country Club. Table captains are responsible for seeking donors for the fundraising breakfast to be held on October 5th. Contact Mary Ann Avery at 252-438-5830 if interested.
- Beginning Yoga will be held at Aycock Recreation Center in the Multi-Purpose Room on Thursday nights from 6:15 PM to 7:00 PM with Beryle Lewis. These sessions are based on basic Yoga techniques to inspire physical, mental and spiritual peace from within through balance, stretching and breathing. Bring your own Yoga mat. Fee for members is $1.00 and non-members $2.00. For more information contact Steve Osborne at 252-438-2670.
- The 4th Annual Dr. Bev Tucker Memorial Henderson Family YMCA Golf Tournament will be held on September 19 at the Henderson Country Club. Shotgun start at 1:00 PM. Tournament is limited to 22 teams. Each team is $550 which includes green fees, cart, lunch and gift bags for players. Individual players $140, if you do not have a team of four a team will be created. If you cannot join in the tournament but would like to honor the life of Dr. Bev Tucker and support the work of the YMCA you can make a tax deductible donation.
- Free Prostate Screening event will be held on September 20 from 5:00 to 7:00 PM. No appointments necessary, enter through the main entrance of Maria Parham Cancer Center. For more information call 252-436-1605.
- The Kitchen Table Conversation Dates for Parent and Community Meetings 6:00 PM to 7:30 PM will be held at: J.F. Webb HS on Sept. 21.
- VGCC is offering a “Tea and Etiquette” course on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 1-4 PM September 26- Oct. 10 at the First Presbyterian Church 222 Young Street in Henderson. The cost of the course is $60 and deadline to register is Sept. 21. For more info call Gail at 252-738-3385.
- Hargrove Chapel United Methodist Church in Townsville will have Revival Services Sept. 21 and 22 at 7:00 PM each night.
- The Class of 1987 is planning at 30th Reunion Celebration. All classmates from 87 can join the event prior to the football game on Friday night Sept. 22. Events will also be planned at half-time and a dinner held on Saturday night. For more information email [email protected]
- Celebrate the 75th anniversary of one of the nation’s largest WWII training camps, Camp Butner. Opened in 1942, Camp Butner trained over 40,000 troops on a 40,000 acre military training facility. The event kicks-off on Friday September 22 at 6:00 PM. The Butner Soldiers Memorial Sports Area will come to live with a social, dinner and USO-style entertainment. On September 23 at 10:00 AM there will be a parade along Central Ave. of vintage and new military vehicles; hear military dignitaries and a Camp Butner Historian reflect upon the Camp’s history, visit reenactment camps, tour historic Camp Butner sites and more. Admission fee for Friday night dinner and social is $25 per ticket and Saturday is free and open to the public. Visit http://www.butnernc.org/events/camp-butner-75th-anniversary/tickets/ to purchase tickets to the Friday Night Event.
- Oak Level United Church of Christ presents “Old Ship of Zion” on Saturday Sept. 23 at 5:00 PM. All are welcome to attend.
- The public is cordially invited to Red Bud Missionary Baptist Church’s annual Laymen League Program on Sept. 24 at 3:00 PM. All are welcome to attend. The Church is located at 155 Red Bud Church Rd. in Henderson.
- The Missionary Circle Ministry of the Sandy Grove Missionary Baptist Church in the Gillburg Community is sponsoring a service on Sunday Sept. 24 at 3:00 PM. All are welcome to attend. For more info call 252-438-3662 or 919-412-5670
- Victory Road Baptist Church 235 Booth Ave. in Henderson will hold Revival September 27-29 at 7:00 PM nightly. Music will be provided by various choirs. All are welcome to attend.
- Rebuilding Hope 414 Raleigh Rd. at the old Coca Cola Plant will hold a Chicken BBQ Friday Sept. 29 from 11:00 AM to 7:00 PM. Plate includes half chicken, potatoes, string beans, bread and dessert. Cost is $7 per plate, eat in or take out. Delivery available for 5 plates or more. For orders call 252-438-5132 or 919-632-2797.
- Oak Level United Church of Christ in Manson will hold their 23rd Anniversary on Saturday Sept. 30. Doors open at 4:00 PM and service is 5:00 PM. There will be many singers from all over NC present. No admission fee, just bring a love offering.
- The Methodist Men of Union Chapel United Methodist Church, 6535 Raleigh Road, are having their fall Stew Sale, Saturday, September 30. $7.00 per quart. Orders are pre-sell only and you can place your order by phoning John Frazier at 252-438-7788. Stew orders will be ready for pickup at the church in Kittrell from 9 am to 12 noon.
- The Henderson Family YMCA. Get your flu shot this year at the YMCA on Ruin Creek Road. Monday, October 2 from 9:00 AM until 11:00 AM. Open to Y members and non-members. Cost is $25 or present your insurance card. Flu shots at the Y are with Granville-Vance Public Health.
- VGCC in partnership with the Project Life Movement is planning a three – day, three – campus bone marrow registration drive. Members of the community are invited to join the drive: Tuesday October 3 from 11 AM to 2 PM in the seminar room G1131 on South Campus between Creedmoor and Butner; Wednesday Oct. 4 from 11 AM to 2 PM in the student center/lounge in Building 2 on Main Campus in Vance County; and Thursday Oct. 5 from 11 AM until 2 PM in the multi-purpose room on the Franklin County Campus near Louisburg. At each event, participants will have their cheek swabbed to provide DNA that will enter a growing bone marrow donor registry. This painless registration process takes only a few minutes but could save a life! Participants must be between the age of 18 and 60 and be in good health. For more information call Stacey 252-438-3515 or Ann at 704-299-6310.
- The Lady Fireballs 1st Annual Fall Bash will be held on Saturday October 7 at the Granville Athletic Park 4615 Belltown Rd. in Oxford. There will be BBQ plates, prizes, vendors, raffle tickets plus fun and games for all ages. Come out and support the Lady Fireballs Travel Softball Team!
- The Greater Franklin County Chamber of Commerce will host the 28th Annual Tar River Festival on Saturday October 7 in downtown Louisburg and RiverBend Park from 10:00 AM until 5:00 PM. There will be live entertainment, a 5k, BBQ cook off, breweries and wineries from NC and again the River of Yesteryear. There will also be a kid zone and lots of fun for the whole family. For more information call the Chamber at 919-496-3056 or visit www.franklin-chamber.org
- The 7th Annual Masonic Homecoming Festival will be held on the campus of The Masonic Home for Children at Oxford, 600 College St. on Saturday October 14 from 9:30 AM until 3:00 PM. There will be a BBQ contest, lunch tickets are $10 and sold on site. The largest and best Shrine Parade will be at 9:45 AM, music by Jim Quick and Coastline. Free admission, open to the public and fun for the whole family!
- A Dash of Hope 5K Run/Walk will be held at Kerr Lake State Park beginning at 9:00 AM on October 14. Organized by Plank Chapel United Methodist Church to benefit Community Partners of Hope. Registration fee is $35. For more info email [email protected] To register go to https://app.racereach.com/event/a-dash-of-hope-5k-run-walk/register.
- The Seventh Annual “Cluck ‘N Shuck” will be held on Friday October 20 from 5:30 PM until 8:00 PM at The Red Barn, Golf Course Road off Lake Devin Rd. in Oxford. Advance tickets $40 per person or two for $75 and includes all you can eat on premises. Dinner menu: steamed oysters, fried shrimp, fried fish, fried chicken tenders, slaw, buttered potatoes, hushpuppies, tea, Pepsi-Cola products and cold beverages. You can purchase tickets at the Chamber’s office 124 Hillsboro St. in Oxford(8:30-5; 919-693-6125) or the South Office 1598 NC Hwy 56 in Butner(8:30 – 5 on Tues and Wed. and 8:30 – noon on Thurs; 919-528-4994). Event t-shirts will also be available at the Chamber’s office for $10 each.
The Farmers Market will be open Wednesdays and Saturdays 7:30 AM – 1:00 PM. In addition to fresh local produce and products, the market will feature special events and gardening classes throughout the 2017 season. For more information about the Vance County Regional Farmers Market, view our website at vancecounty.org, follow us on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram. Persons interested in selling at the VCRFM may contact Tracy Madigan at 252-598-0814 or Paul McKenzie at 252 438-8188. The VCRFM is located at 210 Southpark Dr. in Henderson NC, off Beckford Dr. behind the DaVita Dialysis Center.
- The Farmers Market will be open in front of the Henderson Police Station on Breckenridge Street on Fridays May through September from 11:00 AM until 4:00 PM. EBT and SNAP accepted.
- If you have a school aged student in need of breakfast and lunch this summer (or know of someone who does), text “FOOD” to 877877 and receive a message back with a location closest to where they can get free summer meals. This is a nationwide program and no child deserves to go hungry.
- The Kindle Ministry at Clearview Church is in need of more volunteers for Gang-Free, Inc. Volunteers are needed on Mondays from 4:00-6:30 PM to help kids with their homework, play games, serve meals and spend time with the kids. Mondays are days that Kindle serves with Gang-Free, but volunteer positions are available every day of the week. For more information contact Cara Gill at 252-425-4280.
- The Franklin-Vance-Warren Opportunity, Inc. Head Start is accepting children for the 2017-2018 Program Year for Franklin, Vance Warren and Granville Counties. Children must be 3 years of age as of August 31st, 2017. Parents of children with mental, physical or emotional impairments are encouraged to apply. The program will make special provisions to serve children with special needs. These provisions include, but are not limited to, adaptive equipment and transportation. For more information call Beth Darnell at 252-492-4196.
- Vance County Schools are currently accepting pre-kindergarten applications and kindergarten registration at all elementary schools for the 2017-2018 school year. To apply for pre-kindergarten children must be 4 years old on or before August 31st. To register for kindergarten, children should be 5 years old on or before August 31st. Parents are urged to go to the elementary school in the area where they live now to register their children for the upcoming school year.
- Mother Goose Story Time will be held on Thursdays at 11:00 AM for ages 2-5 years old at Perry Memorial Library 205 Breckenridge St. in Henderson. For more info visit www.perrylibrary.org.
- Help Seniors get hired! Are you 55 or older and looking for a job? NC NCBA-SCSEP supports over 300 part time positions in 18 counties by providing hands on workplace settings for seniors to develop new skills and talents and support community service activities. Must meet income guidelines, able to work 20 hours per week, participate in job search and earn minimum wage stipend. For more info call Beryle Lewis at 919-693-2686 or email [email protected]