Public Service Announcements
To ensure your public service announcement is advertised, WIZS has made a policy change. We no longer accept hand-written submissions. This change will ensure the on-air personalities can read your announcement.
You may now submit your information on the form below. We ask that your submission be email at least two weeks prior to the event in order to serve you better. WIZS will be happy to post your event below and announce it on air.
Current Public Service Announcements
- Two unaltered male dogs. One white with ID collar and other is yellow Lab with scar on his nose, no ID tag, may or may not have collar on. They have been missing off Flemingtown Rd/Anderson Creek Rd. area for almost two weeks. Not at the pound, their names are Braxton and Cody. If seen please email [email protected]
- The Henderson YMCA is looking for volunteers to coach youth t-ball, basketball and soccer. This is a 6-8 week commitment and a lifetime of impact! Call the YMCA for more details 252-438-2144.
- If you have a school aged student in need of breakfast and lunch this summer (or know of someone who does), text “FOOD” to 877877 and receive a message back with a location closest to where they can get free summer meals. This is a nationwide program and no child deserves to go hungry.
- Help Seniors get hired! Are you 55 or older and looking for a job? NC NCBA-SCSEP supports over 300 part time positions in 18 counties by providing hands on workplace settings for seniors to develop new skills and talents and support community service activities. Must meet income guidelines, able to work 20 hours per week, participate in job search and earn minimum wage stipend. For more info call Beryle Lewis at 919-693-2686 or email [email protected]
- The 9th Annual Clarksville Bluegrass Gospel Concert will be held on Saturday July 29 at 6:00 PM. Advance tickets $12, Door $15, Children 12 and under free with adult. For tickets and information call Rodney/Carole Barwick at 434-374-0143 or Ryland/Wilma Overbey at 434-374-8802.
- Grace Missionary Baptist Church in Kittrell will be closing out their Youth Emphasis Month on July 30 during the 11:00 worship service. All are welcome to attend.
- Growing the Fall Vegetable Garden Workshop will be held July 31 at the VC Regional Farmers Market 210 South Park Drive in Henderson at 6:30 PM. Gardners will learn which vegetables to grow in the fall, insect control, nutrient requirements and season extension methods. For more info and to register call Wayne Rowland at 252-438-8188
- We need your help to welcome new teachers to Vance County! Snacks, gum, water bottles, notepads, pens, pencils, coupons etc. are just a few of the things needed to pack in the bags. Business can put cards on items donated to advertise your business to a new group coming to the area. 150 bags will be packed and distributed to teachers at Vance County Public Schools, Kerr-Vance Academy, Henderson Collegiate, Vance Charter and Crossroads Christian. If you would like to make a donation call Melanie Mann at 252-438-8414 or email [email protected] Deadline for donations will be August 4.
- The Henderson/Vance Night Out Against Crime will be held on Tuesday August 1 from 5:00 PM to 8:00 PM on Breckenridge St. at the Henderson Police Department. There will be presentations and displays by the HPD, Vance County Sheriff’s Office, HFD, Vance County Fire and EMS, NC State Highway Patrol, Vance County Schools and many other agencies and organizations working together with the community to prevent crime and promote safety. Refreshments and event cups will be available.
- “The Oak Grove Boys” from Elm City NC will be featured in a gospel signing at Joy in the Lord Baptist Church on Saturday August 5 at 6:00 PM. The church is located at 1238 Debnam Ave in Henderson. All are welcome to attend.
- Hawtree VFD will hold a BBQ Pork Sale on August 5 for $7 per pound. Ready for pickup at 11:00 AM until 1:00 PM or until sold out.
- Geneva Presbyterian Church of Oxford will hold vacation bible school starting Sunday August 6 and ending Wednesday August 9. The annual hot-dog supper will be on August 6 at 6:00 PM. The church is located at 4620 Culbreth Rd. in Oxford.
- Davis Chapel Baptist Church on Chestnut St. in Henderson will celebrate the 16th Pastoral Anniversary on August 6 during the morning worship at 11:00 AM. The public is invited and refreshments will be served.
- Michelle Gray Campbell 220 Seafood Fundraiser will be held August 7. Plate consists of trout, slaw, fries and hushpuppies. Dine in beverage is included. There will also be t-shirts for Michelle’s fight. Cost is $7 per plate and drive thru will be available.
- Revival will be held at Grace Missionary Baptist Church in Kittrell on August 7-11 at 7:00 PM nightly. Come out and worship with us.
- Cotton Memorial Presbyterian Church will have its Summer Revival August 9-11 at 7:00 PM each night. A fellowship dinner will be served Friday at 5:30 PM. Everyone is invited to attend.
- The Henderson Rec Players presents “To Kill a Mockingbird” August 10-12 at 8:00 PM and August 13 at 2:00 PM at McGregor Hall. Tickets can be purchased at the Box Office 201 Breckenridge St. Tues-Fri from 1-5 PM or call 252-598-0662. Any questions call 252-431-6091.
- Dr. Shane Hodge will be speaking at VGCC at 1547 South Campus Drive in Creedmoor about “Hernias: The Path to a Speedy Recovery” on August 15. Presentation and a complimentary dinner will begin at 6:00 PM with Q & A to follow. To reserve as seat call 919-690-3447, visit ghsHospital.org/sgmm or email [email protected]
- Downtown Oxford Movie Nights return on Hillsborough St. on Thursday August 17 with Power Rangers. Concessions will be open at 8:00 PM and the movie begins at 8:30 PM. Bring a flashlight and lawn chair or blanket.
- Revival services will be held at Union Chapel United Holy Church located at 179 Union Chapel Rd. in Ridgeway August 17-18 at 7:30 each night. All are welcome to attend.
- The 135th Homecoming Family and Friends Day held at Concord Missionary Baptist Church 810 Walter Grissom Rd. in Kittrell will have a picnic Saturday August 19 from 10:00 AM to 2:00 PM. There will be lots of games, fellowship and food. Worship will be Sunday August 20 at 10:45 AM, dinner will be served following the service.
- Cotton Memorial Presbyterian Church will be a sponsor site for the Summer Feeding Program now through August 19. Youth ages 18 and under will be provided a free lunch from 11:30 AM to 2:00 PM, Monday through Friday. Call 252-492-3478 and let us know if you will be joining so we can make sure food is provided for that day.
- Union Chapel United Holy Church in Ridgeway will have a Homecoming on August 20 at 11:30 AM. All are welcome to attend.
- Carey Chapel Community Watch meeting will be held at Aycock Recreation Department Complex on Monday August 28 at 6:00 PM and on Monday November 27 at 6:00 PM.
- Grace Ministries of Henderson will hold a Revival at VGCC Civic Center on September 10-12 from 6:30 – 8:30 PM. All are welcome to attend. For more information call Jamie Elliott at 252-204-3617.
- Meet Me in the Street Concerts return Thursday September 14th with Liquid Pleasure. In addition to music and dancing, a kids section will also be included this year. So bring the family for an evening of food, friends and fun! All concerts are free and will be held at the corner of North Garnett and Breckenridge Streets from 5:30 to 8:30 PM.
- Celebrate the 75th anniversary of one of the nation’s largest WWII training camps, Camp Butner. Opened in 1942, Camp Butner trained over 40,000 troops on a 40,000 acre military training facility. The event kicks-off on Friday September 22 at 6:00 PM. The Butner Soldiers Memorial Sports Area will come to live with a social, dinner and USO-style entertainment. On September 23 at 10:00 AM there will be a parade along Central Ave. of vintage and new military vehicles; hear military dignitaries and a Camp Butner Historian reflect upon the Camp’s history, visit reenactment camps, tour historic Camp Butner sites and more. Admission fee for Friday night dinner and social is $25 per ticket and Saturday is free and open to the public. Visit http://www.butnernc.org/events/camp-butner-75th-anniversary/tickets/ to purchase tickets to the Friday Night Event.
- The Greater Franklin County Chamber of Commerce will host the 28th Annual Tar River Festival on Saturday October 7 in downtown Louisburg and RiverBend Park from 10:00 AM until 5:00 PM. There will be live entertainment, a 5k, BBQ cook off, breweries and wineries from NC and again the River of Yesteryear. There will also be a kid zone and lots of fun for the whole family. For more information call the Chamber at 919-496-3056 or visit www.franklin-chamber.org
The Farmers Market will be open Wednesdays and Saturdays 7:30 AM – 1:00 PM. In addition to fresh local produce and products, the market will feature special events and gardening classes throughout the 2017 season. For more information about the Vance County Regional Farmers Market, view our website at vancecounty.org, follow us on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram. Persons interested in selling at the VCRFM may contact Tracy Madigan at 252-598-0814 or Paul McKenzie at 252 438-8188. The VCRFM is located at 210 Southpark Dr. in Henderson NC, off Beckford Dr. behind the DaVita Dialysis Center.
- The Farmers Market will be open in front of the Henderson Police Station on Breckenridge Street on Fridays May through September from 11:00 AM until 4:00 PM. EBT and SNAP accepted.
- The Kindle Ministry at Clearview Church is in need of more volunteers for Gang-Free, Inc. Volunteers are needed on Mondays from 4:00-6:30 PM to help kids with their homework, play games, serve meals and spend time with the kids. Mondays are days that Kindle serves with Gang-Free, but volunteer positions are available every day of the week. For more information contact Cara Gill at 252-425-4280.
- The Franklin-Vance-Warren Opportunity, Inc. Head Start is accepting children for the 2017-2018 Program Year for Franklin, Vance Warren and Granville Counties. Children must be 3 years of age as of August 31st, 2017. Parents of children with mental, physical or emotional impairments are encouraged to apply. The program will make special provisions to serve children with special needs. These provisions include, but are not limited to, adaptive equipment and transportation. For more information call Beth Darnell at 252-492-4196.
- Vance County Schools are currently accepting pre-kindergarten applications and kindergarten registration at all elementary schools for the 2017-2018 school year. To apply for pre-kindergarten children must be 4 years old on or before August 31st. To register for kindergarten, children should be 5 years old on or before August 31st. Parents are urged to go to the elementary school in the area where they live now to register their children for the upcoming school year.
- Mother Goose Story Time will be held on Thursdays at 11:00 AM for ages 2-5 years old at Perry Memorial Library 205 Breckenridge St. in Henderson. For more info visit www.perrylibrary.org.