Public Health Serving You 12/02/15

Home and Garden Show 12/01/15

Home and Garden Show 11/24/15

Vance County Economic Development Show 11/18/15

Home and Garden Show 11/18/15

Vance County Schools 11/16/15

Farm-City Week, part 1 of 3

Vance County has declared the third week in November each year as Farm-City Week. During that time, local residents are encouraged to reflect upon the connections and interdependence between the people and businesses in our towns, and the farms that surround them. This great nation was built on agriculture, but the towns and cities provide the markets and support businesses that make farming possible. — Paul McKenzie

OUR AGING FARMERS: A LOOMING CRISIS FOR OUR NATION?

By Paul McKenzie, Agriculture Extension Agent, Vance County Cooperative Extension

If you happen to be a farmer, I have some important information for you: You’re not getting any younger. Sorry, don’t mean to get personal, but the 2007 Census of Agriculture reports that the average age for farmers in Vance County is almost 60. Nor is this phenomenon limited to our own community. For North Carolina as a whole, the average age is a hair over 57, while the figure is just over 58 for our nation (2012 Census of Agriculture).

Now, this is not necessarily a problem over the short term, since I’ve met plenty of 70-year old farmers who could outwork me all week and twice on Sunday. We shouldn’t see bare grocery store shelves anytime soon. But in the long run, our community, state and nation depends on recruiting young folks to pick up the plow. And since recent decades have seen the daughters and sons of farmers leaving the farm for jobs in the city, the issue is complex.

Young people who are interested in farming usually lack experience, and perhaps more importantly, the capital to invest in land and expensive equipment. Comprehensive strategies to address these barriers are vital to our nation’s future. Fortunately, agriculture presents fantastic career opportunities, and it’s way more interesting than sitting on a tractor all day. Farmers today must deal with high tech equipment, manage complex pest issues, and have sharp business skills.

If you know a young person who is exploring career options, encourage them to look into the many great opportunities available in agriculture.

(Paul McKenzie can be heard on WIZS each Tuesday at 4:35 P.M. on the Home and Garden Show and at other times Monday through Thursday at 2:05 P.M. for the Vance County Cooperative Extension Report.)

Animal Kingdom 11/11/15

Candidates Forum 2015 Audio

Unedited Audio From City Council and Mayoral Candidates Forum 2015

Who:  Henderson Municipal Election Candidates for Mayor and City Council organized by The Henderson-Vance Chamber of Commerce, The Daily Dispatch and WIZS Radio

When: Sunday, Sept 19, 2015 from 4:30 P.M. until 6:30 P.M.

Where: Old Courthouse Downtown, County Commissioners’ Meeting Room

[wonderplugin_audio id=”21″]

The City of Henderson will be holding its 2015 municipal election on Oct. 6. The offices of 1st Ward – Ward Seat, 2nd Ward – Ward Seat, 3rd Ward At-Large Seat, and 4th Ward At-Large Seat as well as the position of Henderson Mayor will be up for election. In order to vote upon these positions you must live within Henderson and be registered to vote by September 11, 2015. For more information regarding Henderson elections as well as other upcoming elections in Vance County you can visit the “Vance County Board of Elections” page on the Vance County website at: https://www.vancecounty.org/departments/board-of-elections/.

20th Annual Crime Stoppers Banquet

Thursday night at the Vance Granville Community College Civic Center, the Henderson-Vance Crime Stoppers organization held its 20th annual awards and recognition banquet.

Crime Stoppers Chairman Lorraine Watkins emceed the event, which included remarks from Henderson Police Chief Marcus Barrow, Vance County Sheriff Peter White and the keynote address from Dr. Stelfanie Williams, President of Vance Granville Community College.

The following individuals received awards:

Jimmy Ayscue received the Community Watch Award, representing the West Henderson Community Watch.

Herman Davis of Senior Citizens Home received the Local Citizens Award.

Dr. Ron Cava of The First Baptist Church of Henderson, NC won the Public Service Award.

Eric Brinkley of Superior Chrysler Dodge Jeep received the Corporate Award.

John Faucette of Carolina Carpet received the Business Award.

CrimeStoppers Awards 2015

Pictured left to right: Irvin Robinson, Craig Thorpe, Gene Washington, John Faucette, Ron Cava, Larry D. Carrol who received on behalf of Herman Davis, Jimmy Ayscue, Bobby Choplin, Lorraine Watkins

The Crime Stoppers Board Member of the Year is Bobby Choplin.  Watkins said Choplin is known for taking care of the smallest details and for providing encouragement to others that they can get a job done.  She said Choplin is always saying, “If you need me, I’m only a phone call away.”  Choplin said, “This belongs to you all, not me, but I have the pleasure of displaying it at my place, and I thank you.”

The Special Recognition Award was presented to Ret. Lt. Irvin W. Robinson Jr.  He was introduced by Deputy Sheriff Craig Thorpe.  Thorpe said Robinson has been a member of every committee in Henderson and Vance County trying to make Henderson a better place.  He said, “If you want it done and done right, give it to Irvin.  He’s always been dedicated to the cause.”  Robinson said, “I could not have done it without everyone in the community helping me, and thank you for this award.”

The Sam Pearson Memorial Crime Stoppers Law Enforcement Award was presented to Gene Washington of the Henderson Police Department, the agency’s Parking Enforcement Agent.  Barrow introduced Washington, and Barrow described many of the difficult situations that he and his officers face in the line of duty.  In speaking of Washington, he said, “He always makes us smile.”  Washington was described as a man who can use his good personality take the edge off some of the things officers encounter.  Barrow said, “The staff was unanimous that it was well overdue to give to Gene Washington.”  Washington said, “I am glad they thought about me this time, and I want to thank all of y’all.”

The Tom Long Memorial Crime Stoppers Law Enforcement Award was presented to Deputy Sheriff Craig Thorpe.  White introduced Thorpe by saying, “He works closely with Crime Stoppers and community watch.  He has right at about 30 years of law enforcement experience.  He follows up with all domestic violence victims we deal with to make sure they have all the resources at their disposal that are available out there.  He has true compassion, and I’ve never seen him speak negatively.  He is just an all around good guy.”  Thorpe said, “I am just a big teddy bear.  I am truly blessed.  There is nothing special about me, and I thank Jesus Christ for all that he is doing in my life.”

Williams, in her keynote speech, encouraged those in attendance to invest in the community and described what she called a “deep sense of connection” between VGCC and the law enforcement community.  She said the mission of the college aligns with Crime Stoppers in many ways.  “Vance Granville is a partner in your effort to reduce and fight crime through education and training.  As people are more educated, they are statistically less likely to commit crime.”  She said the value of the college and to any individual is “measured by our benefit to the community.  We must believe that our community is worth our investment, whether resources or time or public-private partnerships, but, whatever the form, we should all invest in our community.  If we each do what we can, our community will continue to progress.”

If you would like to hear the audio in its entirety, it is provided here.

[wonderplugin_audio id=”20″]