The IRS is offering assistance to eligible tax filers during special Saturday hours at a couple of locations in Granville County beginning this Saturday, Feb. 24.
The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program and the Tax Counseling for the Elderly programs are available to offer free tax help for taxpayers who qualify.
Representative of the two programs will be at Richard Thornton Public Library in Oxford from 10:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Feb. 24; if evening hours are better, make plans to go to the library’s South Branch Monday, Feb. 26 between 5 p.m. and 8 p.m. to request help.
The next closest location for the free tax help offered by VITA and TCE is at the Taxpayer Assistance Center, 7751 Brier Creek Parkway, Suite 102, Raleigh. At this location, in-person help is available from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
No appointment is required for any of the sites offering the help.
The VITA program has operated for more than 50 years. VITA sites offer free tax help to people who need assistance in preparing their own tax returns, including:
- People who generally make $64,000 or less
- Persons with disabilities; and
- Limited English-speaking taxpayers
Before going to a VITA or TCE site, see Publication 3676-B for services provided and check out What to Bring to ensure you have all the required documents and information the volunteers will need to help you.
Visit www.irs.gov to find out more, including what types of information you’ll need to bring, including a government-issued photo ID, Social Security numbers or ITIN for all household members and more.
Additional resources are found below:
- Where’s My Refund?, check refund status and estimated delivery date.
- Get Transcript, view and print a tax transcript online.
- Payments, get information on a variety of payment methods, including cash.
- Direct Pay, make tax payments or estimated tax payments for free from a checking or savings account.
- Electronic Federal Tax Payment System, individuals or businesses can make all types of federal tax payments.
- Online Payment Agreement, set up installment payments to pay taxes owed.
- Where’s My Amended Return, track the status of an amended return.
- Interactive Tax Assistant and FAQs, get answers to many tax law questions.
- All IRS Forms and Publications, find and download current tax forms, instructions and publications. Those without access to the internet can call 800-829-3676 to order tax forms by mail.